Neues Völkerkundemuseum

Charlotte Thallinger

Between 1972 and 1979, the ethnographic museum collection in Zürich was housed in the by dynamic temporary exhibitions, though the tower's climate was unsuitable for artifact tower of the University of Zürich, marking its first public display. This era was characterized storage. In 1980, the museum relocated to the newly renovated Bollwerk in the Botanical Gardens.
The tower, part of the University of Zurich's main building, was completed in 1914 by architects Curjel and Moser. It stands 65 meters high with a reinforced concrete structure and a natural stone façade. It has six floors, currently housing student workstations, a quiet room, a staff-only restaurant, and the university's language center.
Returning the New Ethnographic Museum to Zurich's University tower marks a significant reinstatement after a four decade-long absence. This decision highlights a departure from facilitates dialogue between academia and culture, while its elevated position offers a exclusivity, embracing inclusivity and critical reflection. The tower's central location panoramic view, reinforcing the museum's commitment to critically engaging with Zurich's history and global narratives.

p0030_image05
p0030_image04
p0030_image01
p0030_image02
p0030_image06
p0030_image03

Team
Julien Lafontaine Carboni, Angelika Hinterbrandner, Mariam Issoufou, Soukaina Laabida, Tobia Rapelli, Filippo Santoni

View